Want to know when any website is updated? Would you like to be informed of new technology, websites, tutorials or software you can use? Are you part of this Ning, Classroom20, Facebook or another social network? Here is an easy way to know when your favorite website or blog is updated.
Through using RSS, one can get a short summary of when any web page is updated. A reader is needed in order to access RSS. I am going to go through the steps of setting up and using Igoogle reader. Check out the excellent video tutorials posted at http://teachingtomorrow.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/google-gab-google-...
Basic directions for adding web pages to Igoogle reader:
1. Go to http://www.google.com/reader
and sign up for a free Google account or login if you have a gmail or Google account
2. Navigate to the web page, blog or social network that you want to know when new content is posted (SMARTBoard Revolution Ning) at http://smartboardrevolution.ning.com/
3. Look on the web page for a RSS icon or add to igoogle button. On this Ning network, the RSS is located just about blog posts in the middle of the web page. The RSS feed to the SMARTBoard Revolution Ning is http://smartboardrevolution.ning.com/activity/log/list?fmt=rss
4. Click on the rss icon or igoogle button and then click on the add to Google reader button
5. Now every time that web page updates, you will see a summary of it displayed on the right.
6. Repeast steps 3-5 for all the websites/blogs/Nings you want to track
7. Now whenever you want to check, just login to your Igoogle web page or Igoogle reader and check your web page updates.
Adding ANY web page that doesn't have RSS feeds to Igoogle reader:
1. Go to the web page you want to know when it is updated like Harvey Almarode's SMARTBoard web page at http://harveyshomepage.com/Harveys_Homepage/Welcome.html
This web page doesn't have an RSS feed so highlight the website url address and click on edit-copy.
2. Now navigate to http://page2rss.com/
and click on edit-paste.
3. On the right, click on the Google Reader link
4. Click on add to Google reader button. Now it is added. It does take a few days for the page2rss service to monitor your website for updates.
Anyone else have tips and tricks they use for RSS and RSS readers?