A Revolution in Education
On my MAC running 10.5 with the latest SMART Response software, I just imported a pdf with a header. It just meant I had to delete the page with the header. Other than that, SMART Response converted my pdfs into questions and then I had to set all the answers for the questions. It was a relatively easy process.
1. Load up Notebook
2. Click on SMART Response-import questions from-pdf
3. Find the pdf
4. Delete the pages that converted extra information that aren't questions
5. Click on SMART Response-set all answers and set the correct answers
is there a similar method that will work for a PC? If I follow the Mac way (even though I am Mac-less) when I choose Response - import, my only choices are; import from Exam View, Word, or XML (not real sure what that one is). Is there a way to get the PC to recognize PDF as on option or another way to do it other than copy/paste one question at a time?
I will try tht pdf to word--looks easy enough--yhanks again
Sorry, I couldn't get that pdf to work. Two ideas:
1. If you give the students a paper copy of the questions and the students answer on the SMART Response clickers, then all you have to do is set what the correct answers are for each question. No need to type in the questions, just set the correct answer is A, B, C, or D etc. Just hit next until you get to the screen to choose the correct answer. The SMART Response only needs to know the correct answer for calculating grades.
2. Type in the questions and answers for each question. This takes time but hopefully you can use it next year too.
1. Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to be my problem-solver and check out my pdf. It's actually a bit of relief that the pdf didn't work for you...at least I know I'm not nuts.
2. Thanks for the ideas. I will definitely try the first one and am trying to avoid the second...but you're right...do it once and I'll have it for year(s) to come.
If you look at pgs 55 & 56 in the Smart Response User Guide - it does say how to import a pdf file. Hope this helps some.
Notes:You can import only multiple choice questions.
• You should remove headers and footers from your PDF file because the
import utility will attempt to convert them into questions.
• Introduction, background or source information not related to questions
should be on separate pages.
• Text and graphics that the import utility can't convert into questions are
imported to a SMART Notebook page as a graphic.
To import questions
from a PDF file
1. Click the Response icon in the menu bar, and then select Open Notebook
A blank SMART Notebook page appears.
2. Select Response > Import Question From > PDF File.
3. Browse to and select the PDF file, and then click Open.
A progress bar appears and closes when the conversion is complete.
4. In the Page Sorter tab, select the thumbnail of the title page.
5. Edit and customize the page and description as desired.
6. Edit and customize the first question page as desired.
7. Check the questions carefully to verify that the conversion process was
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for all questions in the assessment.